Saturday 26 November 2016

Interview with Julian Kelly - A Popular American Singer & Songwriter

Julian Kelly is a popular American singer and songwriter. She has worked as a lyricist for an impressive roster of mainstream artists and is best known for her melodic ballads and powerhouse vocals. She has been featured on the cover of All Indie Magazine, The Lizzy T Show in Canada, and has appeared on the radio show On the Air With Sir ( the host of BET's show 106 & Park). She starred in the Pindar Films horror movie The Devil's Courthouse and recently completed work on her documentary film titled Almost Family. Her last music album was titled The Family Reject and sold thousands of copies worldwide.

Check out the interview :






Love Music : Tell us a little bit about yourself. Your background, education etc. ??
 

Julian Kelly : Well, I’ve been around for quite a while! I was born in Baltimore Maryland and I studied music there throughout my childhood. I was really fortunate in that I had fantastic teachers like jazz artist Jane Lamar, Dolores McGowan, Victoria Lavan, and Helen Strine (of Peabody Conservatory). I studied music at a smattering of places, but most notably the American Music Dramatic Academy. Before that I’d already been featured in a number of national and internationl musical theater tours. I’ve been working professionally since the age of 12. Even with all of that, this is my very first Christmas album! Recording “Christmas Love” was a fantastic experience.

Love Music : We been hearing a lot about you, as you featured on the cover of All Indie Magazine, The Lizzy T Show in Canada, and has appeared on the radio show On the Air With Sir ( the host of BET's show 106 & Park), so we notice you’re starting to gain a lot of attention how does it feel ?
 

Julian Kelly : It feels really good, and I am tremedously grateful to every single solitary person out there who has supported me. Without the support and love of every single person who listens to my music and buys the album, I couldn’t do this.

Love Music : At what point did you decide to become a American singer/songwriter ?
 

Julian Kelly : The first song that I remember writing was called “The Poms”. It was an ode of sorts to Pomeranian dogs because I adored mine so much! I knew at around age 9 that I would definitely spend my life making music. Music has always been a huge part of my life. Music helps me to process my emotions and to deal with life.

Love Music :  Your last album "The Family Reject " sold thousands of copies worldwide, can you please tells our readers more about it ?
 

Julian Kelly : “The Family Reject” was a real turning point for me. It was the first time that I’d publically acknowledged the fact that my adoption had affected me on a deep and permanent level. I remember sitting down in my living room and feeling a tremendous level of grief and frustration over the fact that a lot of people in my biological family were refusing to speak to me. I’d spent over a decade looking for people who rejected me without even bothering to get to know me, and that experience took me to a really dark place for a little while.
 

Sadly, a lot of people let their own bias and fear dictate their responses to perfectly good people. So, that album was my way of asserting the fact that I do exist. It was a way of saying—regardless of whether you choose to acknowledge me or not—I am here; I am a good person; I will press on; your absence doesn’t get to define me anymore. I am a tremendously successful woman, but it stung. Nevertheless, I think that asserting your wholeness is something that pretty much everyone can relate to. We’ve all encountered people who have tried to make us feel “less than”, but the people who are really important simply don’t do that.

Love Music : Do you see being a singer/songwriter as a career, or as a hobby?
 

Julian Kelly : Hahaha. It’s been my career for more than two decades!

Love Music :  If you could perform anywhere, in the world, where would it have to be ?
 

Julian Kelly : When I was on the National tour of Songs from the Soul, we performed at the Millenium Center in Detroit. That was a dream come true.

Love Music : What has been one of the most exciting achievements of your career so far ?
 

Julian Kelly : I think that getting invitations to really prominent award shows and openings is something that feels really validating! I’m always surprised when people know who I am. That said, I think I’m most proud of finding a way to stay true to myself.

Love Music : Everybody needs time out. What do you do in your free time ?
 

Julian Kelly : Free time? What’s that! Hahaha. I’ve recently discovered the Netflix shows “The Crown” and “Haters Back Off”, and I love watching them when I have a few moments. I also really like to paint with oils, read, take photos, and chat with the people I love.

Love Music : Any tip would you give to other musicians ?
 

Julian Kelly : Stay true to yourself, but also stay relevant. Write about the things you care about and don’t give up! Also, don’t take rejection personally—just keep going with your head held high.

Love Music : How can people find you and follow you online ?
 

Julian Kelly : People can connect with me on facebook at

Facebook.com/JulianMKellyMusic

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/juliankelly4

 

 


0 comments:

Post a Comment